Under direct supervision, learn and perform a variety of duties in the maintenance and repair of motorized construction equipment; operates a variety of hand, power, and shop tools; performs related work as assigned.
Works under direct supervision of the Lead Mechanic and or Shop Foreman.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Performs maintenance and repair of heavy and light equipment such as trucks, tractors, rollers and motor graders; diagnoses, repairs, and conducts limited overhauls on gas and diesel engines.
2. Re-lines, rebushes and rebuild cams, brake pots, valves and related parts of braking systems.
3. Repairs and replaces driveline components; overhauls rear ends, reduction power dividers, clutch assemblies, universal joints, drive shafts and related components.
4. Repairs and adjusts hydraulic pumps, cylinders, control valves, motors and related components.
5. Repairs power and manual steering systems; electrical systems, starters, generators and related systems, components and parts.
6. Repairs, cleans, adjusts and installs fuel, ignition, and cooling systems.
7. Road tests equipment; drives trucks or equipment as required; inspects vehicles in the shop and field.
8. Reads and interprets manuals, drawings and specifications.
9. Uses and maintains a full set of hand, power and shop tools and equipment related to the work.
10. Observes safe work methods and utilizes safety equipment related to the work; safely handles and disposes of hazardous waste materials.
Note: The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position and is assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Requires High School Diploma/GED; prefer a solid mechanical aptitude; basic A/C-D/C electrical, multi-meter knowledge and fractional measuring device experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Possess and maintain a Class B Commercial Driverís License (CDL) with tank vehicle endorsement, or obtain a CDL permit within 30 days of employment and be fully licensed within 90 days of employment; must be insurable by Comal County Insurance Company in order to operate county vehicles.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Must be able to establish and maintain an effective and cooperative working relationship with other employees. Must be able to operate in a strenuous environment both indoors and outdoors under all weather conditions.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
ASE certifications are preferred, but not required.
Able to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence, and memos; write simple correspondence; present information in one-on-one and small group situations with other employees.
Able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Able to apply commonsense understanding to carry out uninvolved written or oral instructions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position has been identified with possible risk of exposure to bloodborne pathogens and/or other various hazards that require immunization against such exposure.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, and in outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
All individuals operating commercial vehicle using a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) are required by the DOT to take pre-employment drug tests, random tests, post accident tests immediately following accidents, reasonable suspicion, and fitness for duty testing; in accordance with County and DOT Alcohol and Drug testing policies.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests might be required.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change. The employee further understands, and accepts, that this position falls under the provision of an ďAt WillĒ employment, and under no circumstances is this a contract for employment.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.